What is Cocopeat Block – In farming, not only soil can be relied upon as a planting medium. There are still other planting media, cocopeat is one of them. Cocopeat is included in the organic hydroponic growing media because it is made from coconut fiber powder.
What is cocopeat block and its benefits?
Cocopeat block is a versatile growing medium made from coconut husks. Fibrous coconut fiber is washed first, dried by machine, sifted, and made free of sand and other contaminants such as animal and plant residues. Cocopeat is an excellent alternative to traditional peat moss and rock wool. Its air-filled porosity and high water-holding capacity make it an ideal growing medium for plant crops. It is 100% organic and eco-friendly, free from soil-borne pathogens and weeds.
Cocopeat has the property of easily absorbing and storing water. It also has pores, which facilitate air exchange, and the entry of sunlight. The content of Trichoderma molds, a type of enzyme from mushrooms, can reduce disease in the soil. Thus, cocopeat can keep the soil loose and fertile.
Even though it is touted as a quality alternative planting medium as good as soil, the nutrients in the soil are not present in it. Therefore, cocopeat requires additional fertilizer as fertilizer.
Advantages of Cocopeat Block
As an organic growing medium, cocopeat has several advantages over other growing media. The advantages of Cocopeat include:
The shape and texture that resembles soil and its fine grains make plants adapt well to the soil. The difference is, cocopeat does not contain nutrients like soil. Therefore, to grow herbs with cocopeat, the plants need to be watered with a nutrient solution.
Absorb Water Well
Cocopeat has a fairly high water absorption capacity and can store more water than the soil can hold. Cocopeat can store and retain water 10 times better than soil and this is of course very good for plants that grow with a hydroponic system. Because it can retain water well, plant roots don’t dry out easily and can be properly hydrated.
Because it is made from organic materials, Cocopeat is very environmentally friendly and can be properly degraded in the soil if it is not used. In addition, Cocopeat can also be recycled back into new planting media, of course, with certain processes.
More Pest Resistant
Some types of pests such as pests that originate from the soil do not like being in Cocopeat and this can certainly protect plants better and protect them from pest attacks.
Easier for beginners
Growing plants with Cocopeat is highly recommended for those who are just starting to learn to grow plants hydroponically. Cocopeat is easy to use when you first plant it because it has a soil-like shape and texture.
Benefits of Cocopeat Block
Cocopeat blocks have several benefits that can help plant growth, including:
- Provides high humidity: Cocopeat has the ability to absorb and store water well, so cocopeat blocks can help maintain plant moisture.
- Becomes a good planting medium: Cocopeat has a porous structure so that air and water can easily enter the planting medium. This helps increase the biological activity in the growing medium, which can accelerate plant growth.
- Being an environmentally friendly planting medium: Cocopeat is made from coconut fiber which is a natural material, so cocopeat block is an environmentally friendly choice for those who want to reduce the use of planting media made of plastic.
- Can reduce the need for fertilizer: Cocopeat has a fairly high natural nutrient content, so cocopeat blocks can reduce the need for fertilizer for plants grown on it.
- Can reduce water loss: Cocopeat has the ability to absorb and store water well, so cocopeat blocks can reduce water loss due to evapotranspiration. This is beneficial for plants that cannot withstand drought for long periods of time.
Tips for Choosing Cocopeat Block
Here are some tips that you can consider in choosing cocopeat blocks:
- Find out the composition of the cocopeat block: Make sure the cocopeat block you are going to buy is made only from coconut fiber, without a mixture of other ingredients.
- Pay attention to the size of the cocopeat block: Make sure the cocopeat block you are going to buy fits your needs. If you have a large planting area, then a cocopeat block with a larger size will be more efficient. However, if you only have a small planting area, a smaller cocopeat block will be more easily adapted to the size of your planting area.
- Pay attention to the humidity of the cocopeat block: Make sure the cocopeat block you are going to buy has high humidity and is not too dry. Cocopeat blocks that are too dry will find it difficult to absorb water and will take longer to absorb moisture from the surrounding environment.
- Pay attention to the price of the cocopeat block: Make sure you buy the cocopeat block at a price that matches its quality. Don’t be tempted by a price that is too cheap, because this can indicate that the cocopeat block may not be made of quality materials or has undergone a bad production process.
After knowing what cocopeat block is and its advantages and benefits. Hopefully, the discussion above can add to your knowledge and be useful. Wait for interesting information and new insights about coconut products only here.
RMJ-ID is one of the suppliers of coconut products in Indonesia. We produce desiccated coconut powder, charcoal briquette, RBD Coconut Oil, Virgin Coconut Oil, Coconut Fiber, and Cocopeat Block which are ready to be exported and shipped throughout Indonesia.